EXCELLENT COMMUNICATION PRACTICES
Creating the right climate control in your communicator car is crucial to getting high grades in good communication on leadership (or family) surveys. Why learn what makes your Empathizer or Instigator communicator car hum along the road less traveled?
TOP PICKS FOR COMMUNICATION PROWRESS
One TALK2ME© training group brainstormed these answers to, “What practices give you the biggest bang for your communication buck?”
1) Lead by Example – You can’t expect communication if you don’t give it.
2) Honesty – Dishonesty can come back to bite you.
3) Active Listening with Follow-Up – Immediate solutions or develop a game plan.
4) Open Door – Encourage team members to meet with you, don’t just go through the motions.
5) Be Accessible – No Barriers – Nurture one-on-one communication.
6) Restate the Question – Clarify the question before you answer it.
TO SUM IT UP
Lead by Example: The late, great UCLA Coach John Wooden put it like this:
No written word
No spoken plea
Can teach our youth
What they should be
Nor all the books
On all the shelves…
It’s what the teachers
TALK2ME: Dr. Dennis O’Grady is a Dayton communications coach, couples counselor, and corporate trainer. He can be reached at 937-428-0724.