CODE OF COMMUNICATION ETHICS
When the rubber meets the road, do you follow these codes of communicator competence?
- I ask clearly stated questions.
- I listen open-mindedly and without distraction.
- When I feel anxious about the topic of discussion, for confirmation I summarize and repeat what is being said to me.
- I apologize when I talk over anyone.
- I don’t push my pointed opinion down a closed throat.
- I respectfully give feedback in the preferred style of Empathizers vs. Instigators.
- I manage my own mood because I am in the driver’s seat of my life.
- I access information and mentors to help me become a more positive and effective communicator.
- I work with my communicator type and know why I react/respond as an Empathizer-type or Instigator-type communicator.
- I purposefully acquire the strengths I admire about my opposite communicator type.
- I don’t cop out by defaulting to fear or anger or the blame game, which is lame.
- I confront and eliminate the communicator prejudices of both types to create productive problem solving and enlivening relationships.
Dr. Dennis O’Grady is a clinical psychologist, and relationship communication consultant who offers coaching and workshops on the TALK2ME system. Dennis can be reached at (937) 428-0724.